Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Walking the Walk

I've been quiet these last several days, with good reason. It's Ramadan.

I grew up as a Christian--a Lutheran, to be specific. My parents sent me to a parochial elementary school where I learned that one should be a good person, pray, be kind to others, remember God. Fine.

When I discovered Islam, I continued to be basically the same person I always was. Trying to be good, to be kind to others, praying, remembering God. But with an important difference.

As a Christian, I talked the talk. Now I'm walking.

Ramadan is the best time of year to illustrate the practicality of Islam. Many religious traditions recognize fasting as a desirable way to increase spirituality. Catholics and Buddhists fast. But Islam is the only religion which demands a full fasting, from food, water and sexual relations, from dawn to sunset for an entire month.

If I weren't a Muslim, I wouldn't fast. I wouldn't pray five times a day--many days, I wouldn't pray at all. I wouldn't remember God as much as I do now. I don't have the discipline.

Some people do. Monks, nuns and regular people who are so spiritually directed that they do not need any external prodding. I respect them for that.

But most people, like me, need a little extra encouragement to make us really practice our religion, even for one month out of the year.

And that's what is special about Ramadan.

No comments: