Tuesday, May 30, 2006

You cannot excuse a crime

When I was a little girl and I got in trouble, I would start to explain what had happened. "I didn't mean to hit my sister. But I was reading and I had just gotten to the best part and she came up and startled me." Like that.

Every time, my father, who as a rule didn't say much, said "No excuses."

It's taken me a long time to internalize this lesson. To the point that if I'm late on a writing assignment I don't need to tell the editor about my family problems, car problems, health problems, and how I tried so hard to overcome the obstacles but simply could not do it. All I need to say is, "I'm sorry." Then move on.

So I've learned the lesson, and try to apply it. What about the American media?

When American Marines go balistic and massacre twenty-four Iraqis, the behavior is excused. "They 're under pressure."

When an Army truck sped through Kabul and crashed into several cars at an interseciton, killing several people, the speed at which the truck traveled was excused. They had to speed because of concerns about attacks. (Haven't they told us Kabul is under military control?"

I had more examples but I will have to excuse myself. I won't bother you with details about how heavy my eyelids have suddenly become and how inviting it seems to go to sleep.

But I won't make excuses. Good night.

No comments: