Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Lazy Days of Summer

As of noon today, all of my kids are out of school for the summer. Now what?

This year won't be too much of a challenge for us, actually, in terms of keeping the kids busy. We're moving next week. Tomorrow, I've announced, we will all concentrate on finishing the packing. The biggest job is the room my two youngest share. They're old enough to manage. I have my own to-do list.

After we settle into our new home, though, I'll face some of the same challenges. How much computer time do I allow, and how do I make sure each of my three youngest gets his own fair share? How often will I tell them to go play outside? How many fights will I witness? (I don't get involved unless it's absolutely necessary. They usually work things out without me.)

Summer vacation is a great opportunity. Some parents send their kids to camp. Some line up lessons in music, language, or rocketry. There are so many opportunities to fill up those empty hours with constructive activities.

I treat my kids to the way I remember summers. Endless days for daydreaming, reading, and just hanging out. Time to explore, without an organized agenda. Opportunities to be with brothers and friends or just be alone. For the most part, my kids define their summers. My job is simply to guide them. And feed them, of course. Our grocery bill skyrockets during the summer.

I want my children to be peaceful. One way to do that, I think, is not to push them but to give them the room to live their lives. Summer is a great time to do just that.

No comments: