Thursday, December 27, 2007

Who Benefits?

I'm still on vacation, but as I sit here in my Florida motel room and listen to the reports on CNN I feel I must make a statement.

On many points I haven't agreed with Benazir Bhutto. However, her assassination has left me also shocked and disappointed. I'm also deeply troubled as I try to understand all the forces at work here.

I don't believe Bhutto's assassin was a single mad gunman. There are too many other forces at work. I know the pieces, but I don't yet know how they fit together into the puzzle.

These are the facts:

1. Bhutto presented a serious challenge to Musharraf

2. Musharraf, who seized control of Pakistan several years ago, has repeatedly received endorsement from the current administration. He is one of America's favorite dictators.

3. Bhutto indicated in an email that Musharraf was her greatest threat.

4. Even though the Pakistani public has pointed to Musharraf as the force behind Bhutto's assassination, these claims are being ignored.

5. Instead, the emphasis has swung to blame of Islamic "extremism." Throughout the evening CNN has run a special program about the dangers presented by Muslims in Pakistan.

6. And don't forget that Pakistan has a nuclear weapon. This has been brought up repeatedly.

I don't know how people will treat me tomorrow when I go out and about. I expect a change in attitude. After all, I'm an "extremist." I pray five times a day (three while traveling) and wear a head scarf. My husband wears a kufi. I guess our headwear makes us dangerous.

Who has benefitted from Benazir Bhutto's assassination? The Pakistani people? Muslims throughout the world? Or people who would like to seize control of Pakistan, wresting power from its Muslim citizens?

For the last several weeks, American pundits have discussed the need for change in Pakistan. This is their opportunity. And I don't believe in coincidences.

No comments: