Thursday, May 24, 2007

"They're After Your Children"

Al-Qaeda, that is. Whoever they are. The statement must be accurate. I heard it in a press conference this morning.

My mother used to read a poem to me when I was young. I still remember the refrain: "The goblins'll get you if you don't watch out!" That poem came to mind when I was watching the press conference. Watch out for the boogie man. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Control through fear works well in the short-term. But, as Lincoln said, "You can't fool all of the people all of the time." This technique is getting old. Blaming Al-Qaeda. Maligning the very slippery Osama Bin Laden. Reminding Americans that terror lies around every corner.

"They're after your children." That's what he said this morning. Was he talking about an ogre who lives in the forest and lies in wait of sweet young flesh?

Childhood monsters hide in closets. But we're not children. Let's get real.

No comments: