Monday, July 03, 2006

I Don't Want to be Right

My recently-released novel, Rebounding, begins in the year 2015. I concentrated primarily on the future developments in my characters' lives, but also dabbled with a few predictions.

One of my predictions was American troops at war in Syria. This threat has been tossed around for the last two or three years, with occasional references to Syria's alleged support of terrorism. I based my prediction on this rhetoric.

I am also conserned about an overall trend against Islamic civilization. Baghdad was one of the early sites where both arts and sciences flourished under Islamic rule during the Middle Ages. Damascus was another. The destruction of Damascus as well as Baghdad would be a blow to the historically-based identity of Muslims.

Recent events seem to confirm my suspicion. While Israeli tanks have been pounding the citizens of Gaza, Israeli planes have been flying over Syria. Allegations are again being raised of the presence of "al-Qaida" in Syria. ("Al-Qaida" is another topic for another day. Just remember Emmanuel Goldstein.)

The world political situation is very unstable, thanks primarily to the heavy-handed approach of the current White House resider. The U.S. is losing, both morally and factually, in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Meanwhile, the White House continues to hurl threats at both Iran and North Korea. Iran is allied with both Russia and China. And Israel is attacking the elected Palestinian government while blaming Syria for the current crisis. (Has everyone forgotten the dead families on the beach?) I hope we make it through the month of July without a major conflagration.

I want to be wrong. There will be no U.S. military action against Syria. Damascus will not suffer the way Baghdad has. The White House will realize the importance of negotiation and diplomacy. But I'm very concerned.

* * *
I've watched the Mexican presidential election with interest. The results are so close they've pledged to recount every single vote. If the U.S. Supreme Court had allowed a thorough recount to take place in November 2000, we wouldn't have the current mess. I'm a little jealous of Mexico. I hope the best man wins.

No comments: