Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"Mai Bin Rai"

The last time Thailand had a military coup, I was living in a remote area not far from Bangkok. When I went into the city I was shocked at the sight of soldiers in the street. That feeling of discomfort disappeared for many years--until the passage of the Patriot Act.

But this isn't about the loss of American freedom. This is about Thailand. That coup of the early '90s began when the prime minister, Chatichai, boarded a plane for an anticipated meeting up north. The plane never took off. Instead, Chatichai was informed of the coup. His response? "Mai bin rai." Which means, basically, "No problem."

In spite of the military presence and the black-out of the news I was impressed with the Thai style of overthrowing governments. It was only this evening that I learned of a violent confrontation during that coup. In Thailand, such things were not talked about.

I have the feeling this coup is different. The prime minister, who is widely disliked, is in New York. The head of the army is a Muslim. And I was surprised when viewing footage of Thailand's king. The last time I saw him on TV--back in 1992--he still looked very good. Now he looks like an old man. I don't know how much longer he will live. And his death will send shockwaves throughout the country.

Thailand is different too. More westernized. Not as easy-going as it once was.

I'm watching the news closely. It will be interesting to see what develops. In spite of some potential problems, though, I don't expect much violence. It's not the Thai way.

No comments: