Wednesday, September 20, 2006

A more objective newscast

I was pleasantly surprised by the coverage on NBC of Mahmoud Ahmedinajib, the president of Iran. He was interviewed and given the chance to express himself--which he did most eloquently.

On tonight's newscast the anchor (I've forgotten who it is--they change so frequently these days) read emails disagreeing with the decision to cover the Iranian president in depth and allow him to express his views. But it was noted that a democratic society should allow the airing of different viewpoints. What a refreshing statement for network news.

And on Katie's newscast, Bob Schieffer came on to discuss the folly of Iraq. I could scarcely believe my ears. The mistake has become so obvious that even the mainstream media can no longer ignore it.

Oh, and I enjoyed reading about the comments made by Hugo Chavez at the U.N. I find it interesting, and hopeful, that world leaders--including those whom the U.S. government names as enemies--support and feel pity for the American people while despising our leadership. I don't like anyone to pity me, ever, but it is nice to be understood by the world community even if we are not understood in D.C.

And a Muslim general is temporarily the head of Thailand. Now that's really interesting.

These last five years I've pined for the days of Cronkite and Huntley/Brinkley. Maybe there is hope. Maybe the U.S. can have a free media once again.

No comments: