Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Slow and Steady Wins

"The hurrieder I go, the behinder I get." I saw that on a poster in the 70s and it has become a mantra for me. I recite it when I'm rushing to finish and realize I'm only slowing myself down in the process. So I take a deep breath and perform the tasks at my own steady pace. I'm much faster when I'm slow. And more effective.

I'm not the only one who doesn't like to be rushed. The Decider says he will not be rushed into a decision about Iraq. I know it's already been said, but I wish he had felt that way four years ago.

Rushing to run errands. Rushing to war. Different, yet similar in their inefficiency. When I rush I am more likely to drop something, break something, forget something. When the Decider rushes, he destroys a country and kills thousands.

But there are times when speed is called for. If my child is hurt, slow and steady flies out the window. Our nation is dying. Don't you think somebody had better do something about it. ASAP!

No comments: