Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Doesn't democracy mean the people rule?

Eighteen months ago, I never thought of Wisconsin. I knew a little about the state. Cheese. Packers. Laverne and Shirley. Jeffrey Dahmer.

We moved to Milwaukee over eight months ago. I have spent the last year trying to learn about my new state.

I knew about Robert LaFollette, the Wisconsin progressive. I didn't know that Wisconsin is still progressive. The winters are cold, but I think we may stay here a while.

Today, in several communities, the ballots featured a referendum on Iraq withdrawal. I sit here, viewing early vote results. At least two communities have voted against the war.

This is no surprise. The people don't want the war. The White House wants the war, the military-industrial complex wants the war, but the people don't.

How can the U.S. spread democracy abroad when it is not being practiced here?

No comments: