Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Show me state of mind

Last Tuesday night I was watching the election results, cautiously hoping for a change in Congress. It happened. Now what?

The voters clearly called for an end to the status quo, starting with Iraq. But is that what the newly elected leaders heard?

Words are flying now about gradual withdrawals and ultimate goals. Words mean little. We will have to see what they do next year.

I have been voting since 1976. At first I experienced the euphoria of casting my ballot to bring about change. That didn't last long. After that I voted because I hoped it would possibly make a difference. I still hope for that.

I must admit I didn't vote last Tuesday, but it wasn't intentional. I can no longer vote in St. Louis--though it's my hometown--and we weren't able to get back to Wisconsin in time. I did encourage my nieces to vote and they both made me proud.

Do our votes matter? I still hope so, though I'm not very hopeful. Will the new elections bring about policy changes or only cosmetic ones? I won't hold my breath.

As we say in St. Louis, "I'm from Missouri. Show me."

No comments: