Thursday, November 16, 2006

A Woman's Place

When I was in high school, my favorite t-shirt said, "A woman's place is in the House. . .and the Senate." I was a young woman who was going places--I am woman, watch me roar--and no one could stop me. And I was definitely not going to let myself be tied down by a husband and children. Not me.

Thirty years, a twenty-fifth wedding anniversary, and six children later, my views have changed somewhat. I still refuse to believe I am inferior because of my gender. But I'm practical enough to realize that no one, man or woman, can do it all. When I was twenty-five I chose a family and I'm glad I did.

My views about women have changed too. Before, I applauded every achievement made by any woman. Now I am more discerning. I judge every woman by her character and not just her gender.

And today the amazing actually happened. A woman was chosen as the new Speaker of the House. Third in line to the presidency. Not quite there yet, but getting closer than ever.

I'm not sure how I feel about Nancy Pelosi's rise to power. I admire the way she raised five children and still excelled in her political career--I know that's no small feat. And it does feel satisfying to think about the strides women have made.

But I have often disagreed with Congresswoman Pelosi. Not because she's a Democrat or a woman, but on an individual level. I hope she's the right woman for the job, but I'm not celebrating yet. As with any other politician, I want her to show me that she has the right agenda which will benefit the whole of American society.

I am woman. I have never felt I needed to apologize for that. But I can't expect my gender alone to open doors--just as my gender should not have closed doors on mine and previous generations. I must prove myself. We all must prove ourselves. That is the real test.

No comments: