Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Truth? Why not?

I have a question. Why do so many people lie, cheat, and steal?

Really, tell me why. I don't understand. Did no one teach them to be honest when they were children? Have they never learned that bad actions have worse consequences? Are they truly so self-absorbed that they don't care how they affect the rest of us?

I grew up in an honest family. My parents ingrained that value in me from an early age, both by words and by their own actions. I expected others to be honest. I wasn't truly disappointed in this until I became a teacher.

There were times when I wondered if some of my students had been abandoned at an early age and left to raise themselves. Some told lies easily, even transparent lies. Many tried to cheat on tests, and nearly all of my students tried plagiarizing reports and copying homework from their friends. And I don't want to talk about theft. Teachers knew we couldn't leave our purses in the classroom. Even if they were locked in our desks, a few students knew how to get past locks. Even worse, they were happy to tell others about their prowess. My own children learned how to pick locks--though they were severely warned never to use their new-found skill.

Dishonesty is one reason--a very large reason, actually--why I will never teach anyone below the college level again. Dishonesty does not exist only in the classroom, of course. Several months ago I woke up one morning to find my laptop, cell phone, and $200 (which had been in my purse) missing. I asked my son to call the police because I was too upset. Nothing was ever solved or recovered. Thefts occured on a daily basis, the typical loot being laptops, cell phones, and cash. The police were too busy to care.

Of course, the lack of honesty extends to the highest levels of government. We expect politicians to lie to us, and are amazed when they consistently tell the truth. Their lies have cost lives.

But telling the truth is much easier than lying. I think everyone should try it.

No comments: