Monday, July 23, 2007

Truth

"It is He who created the heavens and the earth in true (proportions): the day He saith, 'Be,' behold! it is. His word is the truth. His will be the dominion the day the trumpet will be blown. He knoweth the unseen as well as that which is open. For He is the Wise, well acquainted (with all things). "

In 1979 I picked up a paperback copy of the Qur'an, in English translation of course, at a local bookstore. I was a student of religion and I intended to find the errors. This verse spoke to me. Eighteen months later I converted.

What is truth? It's the eternal question, especially for philosophers and philosophy majors ( like me). I could discuss this question for hours and walk away scratching my head.

When I found Islam, I believe I found the truth. Others would disagree.

In the twenty-six years since my conversion, I have continued to struggle to separate truth from falsehood. It's a daily challenge.

No comments: