Monday, October 22, 2007

Fire and Rain

I remember when the weather was simply a trivial way to conduct a conversation when there was nothing else to say. Nobody talked about the weather much when I was growing up, not unless they were bored.

Now the weather has pushed its way into our everyday lives. The seasons no longer follow a predictable cycle. Yesterday it was 80 degrees down here in Kentucky--warm even for the south in late October. We haven't needed to worry about turning on the heat yet, though that could change this week. Who knows?

We have finally had rain, after months of drought. It rained most of the day today and we hope for rain throughout the week. I also hope the rain reaches northern Georgia, where things seem to be especially rough.

My sister came to visit last week. She lives in southern California. They haven't had rain for a year. They have had fire. Now they have more. The last I heard, the fire was still "0%" under control.

These are trying times. I hate to think what winter can bring. Last year here in Kentucky there was no snow at all, I hear. But I was in Milwaukee, where temperatures plunged to 20 below. (That's not counting the wind chill.) I shudder to think of it.

These are very trying times.

3 comments:

Fatimeh said...

Salaam Sr. Jamilah! I'm so glad to see that you are following your passion and writing. I have set it in mind to pick up your latest book this week. I also hope we can keep in touch.

Jamilah Kolocotronis said...

Walaikum assalaam, Sr. Fatimeh,

How are you? What's your email?

Jamilah

Fatimeh said...

hemitaf@gmail.com