Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Who's to Blame?

I've read discussions on the internet about who caused the fires in California. Apparently some are trying to insinuate that the fires were caused by terrorist attacks.

Interesting. If terrorists were involved, they certainly weren't practicing Muslims. The unnecessary destruction of property, including trees, is forbidden. Killing by fire is also forbidden in Islam.

There's the whole discussion about whether this is an act of God. I believe it was. I can't say the flames were sent down to punish anyone. That's not my call to make. What I can say is that nothing--including these fires--can happen unless God allows it. I have been in enough near-accidents--caused mostly by my own carelessness--to know that God can and does stop bad things from happening. Or sometimes He allows it. And I could engage in a debate about this to last a year, but it all comes down to faith. Even you got it, or you don't.

So why did the fires happen? The only reason I can say with certainty is that government officials, both local and national, ceased to take the threat seriously. The local government proclaimed the end of the fire season. The national government decreased funds for wildfire prevention.

Beyond that, I can't say. Does it really matter?

No comments: