Thursday, August 18, 2005

Back to Joshua

I seem to be jumping all over the place. One day Joshua, the next day current events. I'm a social studies teacher. so current events is what I do. Even though I'm not in the classroom right now, I always take time out for current events.

It's not all as unrelated as it seems. Joshua Adams is apolitical. He doesn't care. He's been so busy enjoying life that he's never paid much attention to the news. And I think that would describe the majority of people. Especially young people, who often have more important things to do than watch or read the news.

The teacher in me wants to lecture everyone about the importance of keeping current on current events. But the teacher in me also understands the apathy.

Later Joshua will come to care very much about current events. But only when it affects his life. And I think that's how most of us are. We are so busy living our lives that we don't take time out to consider the broad spectrum of issues. And I must confess that there are many issues on which I am nearly ignorant. I gave up trying to follow the Social Security debate, for instance, months ago. I just assume that it won't be there by the time I'm old enough to collect on it. :)

What do you think the most important issue is? The war in Iraq? The high cost of gas? The need for alternative sources of energy? The housing bubble? Palestine? The Iraqi constitution? Keeping our kids safe?

Give me your feedback. What should we be concerned about? And what should we do about it?

No comments: