Thursday, August 25, 2005

Back to School

I have very little time to write these days, because it's time to go back to school.

I taught for twelve years before I "retired" in order to pursue my writing career. For the past three years I have concentrated on my writing, and homeschooling one of my sons. But this year I'm back in the classroom, teaching classes in social studies, reading and language arts to middle school students. I hope I'm ready.

When I first met my husband, I was surprised at how seriously he spoke about education. I was a typical American kid who often hated school, but kept going because it was expected and, besides, I'm not a quitter. Much of my school career was about putting one foot ahead of the other. But my husband actually enjoyed going to school. He had learned how to enjoy learning. I have always enjoyed learning too. Just not in school.

I think attitudes about education in this country have become worse--or at least stranger. Politicians blame teachers and implement standardized multiple-choice tests to measure the abilities of the students. Even though any educator will tell you that doing well on a standardized multiple-choice test with a number 2 lead pencil only shows that the student is good at taking standardized multiple-choice tests. There are many levels, many aspects of intellect which simply cannot be measured by filling in ovals with a number 2 lead pencil.

Meanwhile, parents compete with each other to make sure their kid is smarter than anyone else's. Even if they have to do their kid's science project for him. And kids don't really care. Most of them jump through the hoops, doing what is expected so they can be allowed to get back to their video games. The few who do care either get good grades in spite of the politicans and parents, or drop out, either mentally or physically, because school does not meet their needs.

My own philosophy is to let kids be kids. Encourage them to learn, but don't force it. Provide materials and experiences for learning, but don't nag. Don't compete with other parents. Let your kid work at his or her own pace. It is very unlikely that your kid will be a bum. He may take longer to finish his degree, or he may not earn quite as much as the neighbor's kid. But if he is fulfilled, and if he worships his Creator sincerely, then who cares?

Of course, my own children have taken advantage of my laissez faire approach. They concentrate more on learning new skills than getting top grades. They obey their parents, most of the time. They like one another, most of the time. They have friends. They pray. And they know I will give them room to explore and become the men they are meant to be.

I don't believe in letting kids be lazy. My boys have to pull their weight around the house, and they need to finish their homework. But we need to ease up a little. I believe all of our kids will learn much more if they are not forced to learn.

My kids may never win the Nobel prize. They may never be ambassadors, diplomats, millionaires. So what?

As long as they are good people, and true believers, that's all I need from them.

1 comment:

Amatullah A said...

As Salaamu Alaikum,

Very true MashaAllah!.
Even though my son is just four years, his school have taught him to write all the alphabtes andnumbers 1 to 10. I used to get annoyed when I used to see him not concentrating but as you said Kids are meant to be kids, we cannot overburden them with anything...Now I dont force him to do anything and Alhamdulilah he is doing fine and Now I understand that mother's should aim to raise the kid in a righteous manner rather than aiming at making them a top grader.

Wa Salaam

Amatullah