Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Being a Muslimah

I just read the news about a Muslim woman being shoved and verbally abused by three men in a pick-up truck. She is eight months pregnant.

A week or so ago I read that a brother in London, who is a scholar, advised Muslim women to remove their hijabs so that they would not be harassed.

My question is not, why was this woman wearing a scarf when she knew we live in a potentially hostile environment? My question is, what can the Muslim men do to protect the women who choose to wear their scarves in accordance with the law of Allah?

Muslim women must constantly face the world as Muslims, because of our scarves. Muslim men can pretend to be anything they want. Muhammad can be Mo and Yusuf can be Joe. They can dress in tight jeans and loud t-shirts. Sometimes there's the small problem of an accent, but other than that they can blend in.

I've talked with teenage Muslim girls who bristle at the ayah where Allah says he gave men a degree over women. I'm not a scholar, but I've never seen this ayah as saying that men are superior to women. That interpretation would be inconsistent with other verses in the Qur'an. I've always understood that verse to mean that men have natural physical strength, and are unencumbured with difficulties such as the monthly period and pregnancy. Therefore, Allah expects them to use this physical advantage to help women.

This is what I've taught my sons. All six of them. Sometimes they think I'm being too harsh. They don't understand how difficult it can be to be a woman. Especially a mother. They don't know how much strength they have. I've tried to tell them, but I don't think they realize it yet.

My oldest might come to realize it five months from now when his wife gives birth to their first child, insha Allah. When he sees her struggle, I think he'll become much wiser than he is now.

Allah gave men a degree over women. Not so they can be bossy or abusive. So they can help us.

And Allah decreed the hijab for women. When Allah made that requirement, didn't He already know how much difficulty Muslim woman would sometimes face?

We all must be strong. We women must be strong enough to stand up in the face of adversity, and help each other through difficult times. I wish I could go to Virginia right now to hug that sister who was harassed.

We must also strengthen our men. Recognize the leadership of our husbands. Promote leadership in our sons. Communicate with them. Let them know our side of the story.

May Allah help us all.

No comments: