Saturday, August 13, 2005

What's wrong with peace?

Assalaamu alaikum. Peace be with you. Muslims greet one another this way, wishing each other peace.

"Peace I leave with you. My peace I give unto you. Not as the world gives do I give unto you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid." According to the Gospel of John, Jesus spoke these words to his disciples soon before he left them.

Peace is good. On the surface, I don't think anyone would dispute that. But why do so many people resist peace?

We can start with the resistance against Islam. Islam brings peace to the believer. Peace can be seen in the face of a true believer. But so many try to defame Islam, and find fault with the beliefs and the practices. Pray five times a day? Who has the time? Fast during Ramadan? Do you want to starve yourself? Cover your head? Why would a woman want to enslave herself like that? And I could go on. We've all heard it. The resistance to the beliefs and practices dictated by Allah. Sometimes we hear it from non-Muslims. And sometimes we also hear it from those who claim to be Muslims.

Follow Islam and have peace. It really is that simple. Not that life will never be difficult again. Living is a struggle. But living through Islam, and making our decisions and actions conform to the Word of Allah, brings inner peace. The kind of peace that makes it easy to live with yourself. I'm sure you know what I mean.

We need to tell everyone to stop resisting. Give in to the natural peace revealed to us by Allah. Accept it. Submit. Life will be so much easier.

Once we have the inner peace, we need to work on peace between people. I'll address that in my next post, insha Allah.

No comments: