Saturday, November 26, 2005

Muslims and Real Life

When I started the Echoes Series, my goal was simple. I wanted to write books that would address the real-life concerns of American Muslims.

Actually, my initial objective was simpler than that. I wanted to tell the story of one American convert and the difficulties he faced. So often, we converts believe that reciting the shahadah will solve all of our problems. It does solve one problem--spiritual homelessness. But everything else takes work.

So I started with Joshua Adams. An Everyman for the 21st century. Bright, but not too ambituous. Friendly, but not careful with his relationships. Spiritual, but definitely not religious. Abandoned, alienated, detached. Adrift in the problems of 21st century America.

I exposed Joshua to Islam. Then I let him tell the rest of the story. The result was Echoes. The story of a 21st century Everyman who struggles every day of his life.

I intended to write only book about Joshua Adams, but a couple of my friends read my early drafts and asked me what comes next. I sat down and wrote Rebounding. The next chapter in Joshua's life.

When I am finished, insha Allah, the Echoes Series will have five books tracing the journey of Joshua Adams. A man who is transported from nobody to hero, and sometimes back again, through the turmoil of everyday life.

Joshua faces the same challenges we all face. Sometimes he wins. Sometimes he doesn't. His faith ebbs and flows. Which of us can say we are any different?

When my children were small, I looked for media portraying a sanitized version of life. Islam as superhero, erasing all the ills of the world.

I do still believe that Islam, when practiced truly and sincerely, can wipe out all our troubles. If we let it. But we're human. We make mistakes. Sometimes we turn away from Islam, away from Allah. We forget our faith.

As an ummah, we must acknowledge the difficulties of life. Islam is perfect. But people most certainly are not. Not even Muslims.

No comments: