Thursday, November 24, 2005

Thanks for a day of rest!

I promised myself I would write regularly, but my last post was eleven days ago. I try to keep my promises, but this time I failed miserably.

During the last eleven days, I've been running--both personally and professionally. Two kids leaving the nest. My conversion story posted online. Preparing a story for a contest. (It should be two, but I think I'll have to pass on one of thsem.) And still teaching.

Throughout the U.S., families are getting together over turkey and TV for an annual ritual called "Thanksgiving." I don't know how many actually give thanks today. It's a social holiday, for the most part. Being with family and friends. Watching parades and football. Endless football.

I won't discuss "Thanksgiving Day" from an historical perspective. It's too depressing. The hosts wound up being kicked out of their homes. Be careful who you invite to your feast.

In our home, this year, this day is a day of rest. No school. No work. Time to sleep late, read, browse the internet, delete old emails and, yes, for some in my family, a time for football.

In Islam, we don't set aside one day to give thanks. If we are living right, then we thank Allah every day for his mercy.

But it is nice to have an extra day or two off to catch up on my sleep!

1 comment:

Abez said...

AssalamuAlaikum Jamila!

I came to your blog from a link on the Islamic Writer's Alliance, I'm interested in Islamic fiction and was wondering whether you had your work published anywhere?

Ma'Assalam! :)

-Abez