Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Fasting in the Desert

Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. {2} After fasting forty days and forty nights, he was hungry. {3} The tempter came to him and said, "If you are the Son of God, tell these stones to become bread." {4} Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.'" Matthew 4.1-4

I was still very young when I learned of Jesus' fast. Forty days and forty night--much longer than Ramadan. As a small Protestant, I was taught that fasting wasn't necessary for regular people. At that time I had never heard of Islam.

Man does not live on bread alone. A much-quoted phrase which is often taken out of context. I was more fascinated by the temptation itself. My teacher emphasized that when we felt tempted we should imitate Jesus and say, "Get thee behind me, Satan." (We were studying from the King James translation.)

Jesus fasted. Many Catholics fast in some way or another during Lent. Buddhists fast. Ascetics fast. And Muslims fast. It's not such an amazing concept, really. Fasting helps toward self-restraint and also leads to a greater spiritual awareness.

Muslims who fast also face temptations, by the way. Try watching television when you don't want to think about food.

No comments: