Tuesday, September 25, 2007

National Restraint

As of Sunday, I will have been a Muslim for 28 years (on the lunar calendar--a little over 27 years on the solar calendar). Maybe that's why I can't understand what's happening to my country.

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the elected president of Iran, has come to visit the U.S. on official business. Throughout his visit, from the White House to Columbia University to the late night talk shows, he has been villified and demonized. I don't understand. No matter how much we Americans may disagree with him, he is still our guest.

In Muslim culture, the guest has many rights over the host. Even a guest the host is not fond of should be treated with respect. I'd forgotten that there were people who didn't think this way.

As I said yesterday, I am embarrassed. We pretend to be a civilized nation, capable of leading the world. But we fail to show simple basic good manners. One Iranian citizen has said this proves that Americans are still cowboys. I can't fault him for thinking that way.

Where is our dignity? Where is our restraint? Is there nothing left?

I was born during the Eisenhower administration. I was in grade school when President Kennedy was assassinated. For those first seven years of my life, I witnessed a country of graciousness. Those seven years were enough to teach me how people should live.

I thank God that our current administration wasn't in charge during the Cuban missile crisis. Because the president at that time was a wise and thoughtful man, I had the chance to grow up.

No comments: