Thursday, September 06, 2007

The Hardest Job

I may be biased--of course I am--but I think mothers work harder than anyone else. Even fathers. According to Muhammad, the mother deserves three times the respect and honor of the father. One commentary I've heard on this is that the mother carries the child, gives birth, and (often) nurses. Talk about labor intensive.

The problem is that most people don't really appreciate their parents until they themselves become parents. That's how it was with me.

The thing about parenting is that it never ends. It begins with the moment when the pregnancy is discovered and continues until death. Hopefully the parent dies first.

Being a parent doesn't have any monetary gain--not unless your kid becomes rich and famous. But there is no better job.

No comments: