Thursday, September 20, 2007

Restraint and "Political Correctness"

Political corectness has taken a bad rap, and for a good reason. Sometimes it works. Too often it's simply an excuse to manipulate others into seeing things your way.

Like with this whole Petraeus blow-up. I agree with the general's detractors, and with all those who oppose the war in Iraq and the rosy picture painted by the administration. I remember a time when political disagreement was not only allowed but expected. Now it's somehow unpatriotic. When did this happen?

Or the decision to bar Ahmedinejad from visiting "Ground Zero." First they complain when Muslims don't seem to care about 9/11--though that has never been true. Then they bar a Muslim leader from caring too much. Isn't there a middle ground?

In this aspect, Muslims definitely have it right. Self-restraint is the best. I can't dictate what you do with your life, and if you're not my kid I don't want the added responsiblity--as long as you're not harming yourself or someone else. You restrain yourself. I'll restrain myself. We'll both mind our own business. The world will be a much more peaceful place.

No comments: