Monday, September 10, 2007

Fasting in the Qur'an

"O you who believe! Fasting is prescribed to you as it was prescribed to those before you, that you may (learn) self-restraint." Qur'an 2.183.

I became a Muslim during the month of Ramadan, but the practice of fasting was hard for me to grasp. It was August in Missouri and going without water, not to mention food, from about 4 am to 8 pm, was extremely difficult. My first full Ramadan, a year later, was much better--and I still consider that to be my best Ramadan, unfortunately. After the kids came along, I began to lose some of my concentration.

Self-restraint. That's exactly what I've always found in Ramadan. Looking at a water fountain or food in the refrigerator and leaving it alone. That was especially difficult when my kids were little, and not fasting yet, because I had the habit of eating their leftovers. I hated throwing all that food away.

All of my children fast now. It's relatively easy for most of them. My little guy has the hardest time, but he's 12 and old enough. I don't know if I'll fast this year because I still have some health concerns. We'll see how it goes. If not, I'll have to find other ways.

I grew up Protestant and we never had to fast. Until the day I became a Muslim I couldn't imagine it. But I've done it for many years, and on Thursday we plan to begin again. A new Ramadan.

Self-restraint. Not everyone who fasts has it, but everyone knows he or she has to work for it. No backbiting or arguing. Can you imagine?

There are many non-Muslims throughout the U.S. who fast at least one day during Ramadan to understand how it feels. What if everyone in the U.S. practiced self-restraint, even for one day. Wouldn't that be nice?

No comments: