Monday, November 12, 2007

Honor?

Veteran's Day. Formerly Armistice Day, held to commemorate the official end of World War I at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

No mail came today. The government was on vacation. I imagine some other people were too, though none of the schools were closed.

There were sales. It was supposed to be a day of shopping, celebrating, and flag waving. A day to celebrate and relax.

But I have a question. If this day was meant to celebrate veterans, how were the veterans treated? What about the soldiers in the field? Were they off today too?

Though I'm vehemently opposed to war I was taught to respect veterans. Some of my uncles fought in World War II. My father was sent to Korea. None of my cousins went to Vietnam though--they all found a way out.

Respect veterans by giving them proper medical care. By helping them deal with the psychological traumas of war. By assisting them in the difficult transition to civilian life.

Have you been to a VA hospital recently?

Flags, parades and fancy speeches mean nothing.

No comments: