Thursday, November 29, 2007

It's Just a Teddy Bear!

I followed the news today, saddened when I learned that a Sudanese judge had convicted the teacher and sentenced her to fifteen days in jail and deportation. The saddest statement came from one of her students, named Muhammad. "It's my fault," he said. He wanted to name the teddy bear after himself.

This incident concerns me on three levels (not counting the six and seven year olds affected). First, Muslims need to stop thinking of ourselves as victims. Muslims have been oppressed in places throughout the world. However, much of that could have been avoided if the Muslims living there had banded together. In every instance of oppression, there has been at least one 'Muslim' who sold out and betrayed his community. If we are victims, it is of our own disunity.

Second, I'm concerned that some Muslims are coming close to worshipping Muhammad (peace and blessings be upon him). When he was alive, at the beginning of his mission, Muhammad often was mistreated by other, non-Muslim, Arabs in Mecca. His response was always kindness, not vindication. Muslims respect and deeply honor Muhammad, but we must be certain not to cross the line over to worship. That is definitely not Islam.

Third, I hope that countries such as Great Britain and the U.S. don't use this incident as an excuse to go after the Muslims living there. Will Muslim teachers now be fair game? I hope not. We had nothing to do with what happened thousands of miles away. But some people still hold on to the notion of guilt by association.

Over the years, I have been very impressed with the Sudanese people I've met. I'm disappointed in the government, and especially in the judge. I don't speak Arabic but I'm smart enough to know that this is not Islam.

No comments: