Monday, August 13, 2007

Education

Today was the first day of school here in Lexington. Last week my boys faced the exhilaration of buying new supplies, new clothes, and new shoes. Today they had to face reality.

At the end of the day, both were happy to be home. The first day of school somehow doesn't measure up to the expectations.

Because I was raised in this country, as a youth I didn't value formal education. I loved to read, write, and explore on my own, but the thought of sitting behind a desk failed to thrill me. It wasn't until I met my (future) husband that I thought about what education really means.

He was raised in Thailand where schooling is much more competitive. He craved formal learning. At first I didn't understand that. But in Thailand, as in many other nations, education is not a given. The young person must earn the right to go to school and pass through the different levels.

I've tried to explain all this to my sons. The older ones get it. The younger ones still feel as if they're being tortured by homework and equations. After all, they're Americans.

There has been much talk about educational reform in this country. Standardized testing is definitely not the answer. I know there must be a better way.

(And, personally, I think August 13 is way too early to be going back to school.)

No comments: