Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Kindergarten Lessons

When I was in kindergarten, one of my classmates had a wooden leg. As I remember, it extended up to his knee. He showed it to some of us once. I think someone said he got it in a car accident.

The details are fuzzy--that was over 40 years ago. But I don't remember anyone making fun of him. We knew it wasn't right. Our parents had taught us to be kind.

Sometime in the 80s or 90s, "political correctness" came into being. It started out as a positive idea which sometimes becomes monstrous, eating all in its path. People weren't being kind, so kindness had to be enforced through social sanctions and even the enacting of new laws.

I went to kindergarten in 1961 and we didn't know anything about political correctness. But we knew how to be kind.

I think many of us have grown too big for our britches.

1 comment:

Clarity Plenty said...

Assalamu Alaykum,

Salaam Sister Jamillah, this is Safa your daughter in law twice removed :). I hope you are doing well. I have been writing and revising my resume. Going out to interviews in search of a job for 2007 and Early 2008. It has gone pretty well, and exercise in patience. :) I am also applying for the Fulbright 2008-2009, and will tell you more in a email, insha Allah. That is why I am writing, please send me a email at nadirahp23@hotmail.com. I would love to use you as a reference, I am hoping that you could give me a recommendation. I would be honored to have one from you, and you are the first person I have asked. I am not sure about conflict of interest or that kind of stuff since we are like family. By the way, Sakeena is here with Muhammad visiting and Rasheeda is moving to Michigan-Ann Arbor to do her Master in English. Tell you more in the email, insha Allah, please write me at nadirahp23@hotmail.com.

Wa Salaamu Alaykum Wa Rahmatu Allah to the family
Love, Safa