Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Prompted by Hope

Hope causes people to attempt difficult feats.

Someone once said that the most amazing thing about childbirth is that any woman does it more than once. Hope, or maybe a really bad memory, causes the mother to have more children and build up her family.

Hope prompts athletes, students, and (we hope) leaders. Not blind optimism but cautious anticipation of something better.

Hope produces paintings, sculptures, symphonies, and novels. The artist slaves away day after day, usually in solitary, with the goal of reaching and inspiring others.

And hope brings me back to writing my blog every Monday through Thursday. Every day I look anxiously for comments. There are few. But I hope someone is reading and benefitting from my words.

Imagine where the world would be without hope.

No comments: