Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Healthy Healing

Several months ago, I confessed on this blog that I had been diagnosed with leukemia--CLL, to be specific.

Soon after my diagnosis, I began receiving encouragement to go for treatment. From our friends. From my family. From my doctor. I did the research and decided, for several reasons, that chemo wasn't a good solution for me. I found another doctor who respected my decision, and investigated other ways to get well.

My methods are simple. Sleep as much as I need. Eat as well as I can--while dealing with various food sensitivities. Drink water frequently. Get plenty of sunlight. Laugh at least once a day. And don't give up.

So far, these methods have served me well. I'm not cured--cures are nearly impossible for CLL. But I'm energetic, gaining weight, and feeling healthy.

I believe my lifespan has already been determined. If I live to be 60, 70, 80, or 100 is up to God, not me. If I go into treatment, I will probably be sick from the medicines. If I don't go into treatment, and I feel great--well, don't rock the boat.

I also believe the body is equipped to heal itself, given the proper circumstances. This is what I'm trying to do. I'm not a scientist or an MD, but I know what is working for me.

3 comments:

Safiyyah said...

As Salaamu Alaikum Sis Jamilah! I truly love you and will say dua for you. Don't forget to add Allah to that "prescription".

Jamilah Kolocotronis said...

Yes, absolutely!

Anonymous said...

You are a wonderful strong woman and I will add a prayer to Allah that you will always never lack in blessings.

Mejaflora