Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I confess to losing track of the news this week. I pick up bits and pieces, but I'm too busy to indulge myself in the details.

We're spending spring break in Kentucky. It's a nice place. Pleasant weather and courteous people. Rolling hills and horse farms. Plenty of sunshine.

I have traveled to every one of the 50 states, and have lived in seven of them. I'm curious about the differences in the regions. Even though nearly every town has a McDonalds and WalMart, I've found that all places I've been to have retained a local flavor.

In Massachusetts, nearly everyone was in a hurry--measuring distance in time rather than miles. Seattle was friendly, and a little different in a nice way. I loved seeing Mt. Rainier tower in the distance. Kansas City is very friendly, but slow on progress. Milwaukee is fun-loving on the one hand, but also serious. St. Louis, my hometown, is generally polite--or it was before the crime rate began to climb. And there are towns like Kirksvilee, Missouri, which serve as extensions of college campuses.

When I'm on the road, I sometimes feel sorry for the people who stay in one town, large or small, all their lives. Though at other times I envy their stability.

I find peace on the road--exploring what lies beyond the bend.

No comments: