Thursday, April 05, 2007

"Walking Wednesday"?

The talk in the media often veers toward obesity in children. Extreme examples are cited, such as a 7-year old who weighs well over 100 pounds. Children, they say, don't get enough exercise.

That may be true, but I can't imagine it. I am in the process of raising six boys, and I never had a problem with keeping them active. Making them settle down is another story. Sometimes it seems as if my boys are constantly moving. My six perpetual motion machines have never been at threat for obesity.

I have taken some common sense steps such as limiting junk food. That's a no-brainer to me. Give the kids water and juice (real juice, not the sugary substitute) instead of soda. Don't allow them to endlessly eat candy or chew gum. Don't buy chips regularly--most of them are loaded with MSG, which causes many health risks. Don't feed them junk food. Learn how to cook a real dinner.

Last night's news brought video of elementary school children participating in "Walking Wednesday." Every Wednesday, at one school, the students go for a walk at noon. They had something similar when I was a kid. We called it recess.

My 17-year old has a different take on the reason for concerns of obesity in kids. He suggests they may be so doped up on Ritalin that they don't get the exercise they need. It's possible.

I'm more inclined to blame video games. My three youngest do play computer games on the weekends and school holidays--though not all summer. We don't own a video game system. I've seen how too much activity of this sort affects my kids' attitudes. Forget it.

We eat food loaded with chemical ingredients we can't pronounce. We drink water from plastic bottles (she said, taking another sip). And our children must be taught how to walk and run because apparently they've forgotten how to be active simply as an expression of childhood.
Are these characteristics of a civilized society, or one in decline?

As you can probably tell, I feel passionate about this topic. Children run, jump, laugh, and play. That is the nature of children. If they are failing to do what comes naturally, it must be because we are failing them.

No comments: