Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Chaotic as Usual

I grew up during the Cold War. There were times when I nearly held my breath, waiting to see if the world would erupt into nuclear warfare, ending life as I knew it.

But the U.S.S.R. fell and the Cold War ended. For a few years, I could breathe again. There was no hidden enemy, waiting to incinerate me and my family. The president was not holding his finger on the button.

Then came 9/11. Nothing has been the same since. The tension of those early days are gone. But the fear remains.

Fear comes in many different forms. Of course, there was the fear of another attack. A few hours after the attack, as Muslims were being blamed nationwide, I formed a fear of personal attack against myself, or any other woman wearing a head scarf.

Since the invasion of Iraq, I have most feared my own government. Wiretaps abound. Rights are declining. And the talk of war continues daily. Two wars aren't enough. More are necessary to bring freedom and peace to the world, whether they like it or not.

The news these days is about the newest American casualties in Iraq and Afghanistan, another terrorist attack, another group of swarthy foreign men arrested--along with an occasional American who has given up his identity to join the cause.

Nothing to worry about. It's just life as usual in the U.S.A.

No comments: