Thursday, February 01, 2007

Is it hot in here, or is it just me?

Global warming has been a hot topic this week, so to speak. But you don't have to be a scientist to know something is wrong.

I grew up in St. Louis and still come back to visit. On a good day, you can see the Arch from several miles away. But I've experienced some summer days when the sky was so full of pollution that you couldn't see the landmark until you were nearly there. Nearly every city is the same. There are "ozone alert" days when it's not safe to leave the house. Doesn't that mean something is wrong?

When I was growing up, back in the 60s, the seasons were regular, too. Summer lasted for three or, if we were lucky, four months, and it was always hot. Fall started on time, usually, and the days became crisp and cool. Winter meant snow. A lot of it. I remember days when the snow was up to my waist--of course, I wasn't very tall back them. And it was cold. Spring, which began either in late February or late March, unofficially, heralded warmer days and the blooming of flowers and leaves. Every season came in order, not usurping the others.

But now it's all haywire. I'm in St. Louis now, and in the past week or two I've seen a day when the temperature reached nearly 60, as well as some nights (tonight included, I think) when it hovered in the teens. Throughout the U.S., the weather may be unseasonably warm or untypically brutal. I mean, there was snow in Tucson, Arizona and Malibu, California. Isn't that just a little weird?

For too long societies have played fast and lose with the environment. Now we are reaping the consequences.

And yet, the White House falsified scientific reports to suit its own twisted agenda. Why?

Because oil is where the money is. And one of the first steps to curbing global warming is to limit the use of fossil fuels.

Why have we allowed politicians to manipulate our childrens' future?

No comments: