Monday, October 09, 2006

Not A Political Symbol

When I converted to Islam, I actually knew very little about my new faith. I had read the Qur'an, cover to cover, and spoken with some Muslims--all men. I was shocked when, a week after my conversion, I traveled to a somewhat larger town and met a gentle Muslim woman from Sudan who told me I would need to cover my head. It's in the Qur'an, but I guess I didn't pay close enough attention.

Six months passed before I was able to commit to wearing the headscarf. I was prompted after being cursed at by a narrow-minded person (also known as Rednecks) in our small town who said (remember this was 1980) he'd like to "take one of those Iranians and drag him through the street behind my pickup." When another girl and I challenged him, he called us filthy names. And I swore no one would ever talk to me that way again. On went the scarf.

I cover because I feel more dignified doing so. I can be judged by the contents of my mind rather than my physical appearance. I also cover because, now that I'm married, it's a special feeling to know that even my hair will not be seen by any men except my husband, sons, and nephews. And I cover because it is commanded by Allah in the Qur'an.

Wearing a scarf is not a political statement--at least not for any women I've met. It's a deeply personal commitment of faith.

Today Morocco joined other Arab countries in discouraging the scarf. I don't know how they can read the Qur'an, profess to be Muslims, and take such an action. They said they want to discourage extremism. If it is extremist to believe in the Qur'an as the revealed word of Allah, and strive to follow it, then I guess that's what I am. No apologies.

No comments: