Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Violence and Muslims

Have you ever had an argument with a friend or family member? The other person becomes extremely tense. When you remind him or her to calm down, the reply is "I am calm!"

Muslims are peaceful. We keep telling everyone how peaceful we are. And if they don't believe it we will throw rocks through their windows and burn them in effigy.

Islam is a peaceful religion. Really. But the Muslim world needs to learn a thing or two about anger management. No matter what anyone says about Islam, we don't need to react with violence and rage. Everyone has the right to an opinion. And we will all find out who was right, and who was wrong, on the Day of Judgement.

So the next time someone criticizes Islam, use a gentle word of correction and then go about your business. We can't teach about the peace of Islam by threatening to kill--or actually killing, in the case of that nun. Who is more righteous? The man who kills an innocent women, or the one who refrains from violence?

I have been a Muslim for 26 years but I am not a violent person. Except, maybe, when my kids have been making noise for three weeks straight and I can't take it anymore. But that's not Islam either. That's my anger speaking, not my faith.

Islam is peaceful. Islam is peaceful. Islam is peaceful. I pray for the day when Muslims will be peaceful too.

No comments: